Friday, September 20, 2013

Reacting in pain


Photo by Murray Mitchell

Anonymous wrote:

"After my husband and I had been dating for a while, I noticed a growing jealousy in him. At first he was jealous of every moment I spent with platonic guy friends. Then he started getting annoyed about my girlfriends. Then he got iffy about my family. I was starting to feel trapped and he was getting more and more jealous of all the people in my life. We fought about it constantly. I had to defend every moment I was spending with anyone besides him.

I told him it feels like he doesn't trust me.
He said it’s not me he doesn't trust, it’s the other people. I’m too trusting, they could lead me astray.
I told his to stop being ridiculous.
He wanted to know what was wrong with wanting to protect his girl.
I told him he doesn't own me……

Sound familiar?

I was at a loss. I had given him no reason not to trust me. None of my friends were up to any funny business. Where was this coming from?

Then I realized it was coming from his past. Like myself and so many other people, he’d been betrayed and hurt more than once by both friends and lovers. This was not about me at all. This was about him and the way he saw things. He saw these relationships from a place of pain and he simply wanted to protect me and himself. Because he had gotten hurt in these relationships he expected that he would get hurt again.

So I started making sure that he always knew exactly where I was at all times and who I was with. I invited him along and was completely transparent, I think I might have gotten a little annoying! But eventually he realized that this relationship was different and that I would keep his heart safe and then he relaxed. He is completely fine with everyone now. We haven't fought about this in years."

When it comes to our emotional hearts, people are at their most primal. And a hurt heart is protected by a snarling animal of suspicion and self-defense. We can’t think logically. And the old adage:”time heals all wounds” is complete nonsense. Physically, the part of our brain that handles emotions has no concept of time! Look it up. Your memories are powerful because your brain experiences them like they are happening right now. This is wonderful for those great memories you never want to forget. But it’s terrible for those painful experiences we would rather not remember. Just because you were hurt 3 years ago doesn't mean that the wound feels 3 years old. All time does is makes us used to the feeling of pain until doesn't bother us so much.

And so, the moment you spot anything that remotely reminds you of your painful experience, your primal animal snarls and reacts in what it deems to be the best way to protect your heart from more pain. And this reaction is seldom logical, civilized, voluntary or thoughtful.

So the next time your partner reacts in a way that you don’t understand, consider that they might be reacting from a place of pain. Maybe their behavior has nothing to do with you but they are simply reacting in the interest of self-preservation. So maybe, cut them some slack. They're not trying to be difficult. They are hurt and a little scared of getting hurt even more. Is there something that you could do (or stop doing) that can comfort them and make them feel safer in those situations?

And look out for that same reaction in yourself. If you realize that you’re reacting in this way, maybe you need to work through some of your own past pains. Don't punish someone else for your pain. Work through it (with professional help if needed), learn from it, grow from it and let it go. Don't let your own past pains color your views and perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment