Friday, September 6, 2013

Happily Ever After





…..and they lived happily ever after…..

That’s how the story goes, isn't it? Any child can tell you how love works. Boy meets girl, they fall in love, then the boy needs to save the girl from some evil or obstacle after which they get married and live happily ever after. The end.

But then, the wedding is actually not the end. It’s only the beginning.

The beginning of the most amazing, grueling, life-changing, heart-breaking, inspiring, exhausting, uplifting journey of your life.  This is your story.

Both the fairy tale and your story probably start the same. Boy meets girl, you fall in love, there’s some obstacles but eventually you make it to the altar in your white dress and diamond finger candy. And that’s part of the problem. We expect the “happily ever after” to follow in our lives as it does in every story we've been told since we were babies.

“Oh but come now,” you scoff,” I’m an ADULT. I KNOW there’ll be problems. And I’m perfectly prepared for the toilet seat fight. And I know I’ll get less flowers and we’ll probably only go on one or two dates a week. But I’m OK with that. Our love can conquer anything!”

And then, after a while, things change. “The honeymoon is over” and you learn exactly what it means. Somewhere along the lines your bubble burst, the pink candyfloss clouds dissipate and you’re left with a sinking feeling that maybe your love wasn't really as true as you thought. Maybe you married the wrong person. Maybe you just don’t love each other enough. Maybe he wasn't the person you thought he was. Maybe you've just made a huge mistake. You feel like the loneliest person on earth. The fairy tale didn't happen. Because deep down you know that you hoped the fairy tale would happen for you. 
Happily ever after…..

And now, here comes the SHOCKER…..
…..
…..
EVERY MARRIAGE GOES THROUGH THIS. 

You are not special or unique. Sorry. You are pretty standard.

And what’s more, every marriage will go through this MANY TIMES.

So how has the institution of marriage survived for so many years? Simple: men and women over the ages have WORKED at it. That part isn't in any story. But that’s the way LOVE survives for 60 years or more. It takes WORK.

And this is my reason for this blog. I didn't fully understand what it takes to stay married. Nobody does before they’re neck deep in it. Nobody talks about the highs and lows, hardships and huge rewards that come with working on and fighting for your love.

So here I create a space where you can share your stories and lessons, vent, share life lessons, ask questions. Share your experiences and spare someone else some heartache or learn from someone else's experiences and spare yourself.


Welcome to “Everything

No comments:

Post a Comment